2014 (Hong Kong)
Accredited Mediator, Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited
Areas of Practice
Family & Matrimonial Law
Medical Negligence & Personal Injury
Property & Land
Public Law & Judicial Review
Alison commenced private practice in 2014. She has since been instructed in a wide range of cases covering the following areas: commercial, land, criminal/regulatory, family/matrimonial, public law, probate, company, defamation and personal injuries. She has a particular focus on commercial/company matters, land disputes and family/matrimonial disputes.
Alison has appeared, mostly in her own right and sometimes as a led junior, in the Court of Appeal, the Court of First Instance, the District Court, the Family Court, the Lands Tribunal and the Magistrates’ Courts. She has also been instructed as counsel in hearings held by professional bodies and statutory bodies. She is also an accredited mediator of the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited, and regularly conducts mediation sessions as a mediator in a wide range of matters.
Company & Commercial
- Yuen Tak Sung v. Sea Dragon Food Ltd (HCMP 1721/2018);  HKCFI 2471 – appeared on behalf of the Applicant in a successful application for leave to commence a statutory derivative action on behalf of the Respondent company.
- Swiss Finance Mortgage Services Ltd v. Wong Kam Fan & Anor (HCA 1244/2015, 22 December 2016) – appeared on behalf of the Defendants to resist a summary judgment application concerning allegations of breaches of the Money Lenders Ordinance (Cap. 163).
Land & Property
- To Yung Sing Herman v. Szeto Chak Mei & Ors  3 HKLRD 370;  HKCFI 1506 – appeared on behalf of the Plaintiff in an application by way of vendor-purchaser summons and sought declarations that the Defendants did not give vacant possession and that their failure to discharge notices issued pursuant to Buildings Ordinance (Cap. 123) constituted blot on title.
- Hau Cho Sing v. Hau Chi Wing & Ors (HCA 167/2016)  HKCFI 686;  HKCFI 1385 – appeared on behalf of the Defendants (with Michael Liu of Counsel) in a striking-out application in a case involving easement, dedication and acceptance of a piece of land in the New Territories.
- Yuen Yin v. Yuen Mei Leng Karen & Ors (HCA 1000/2017, 7 November 2017) – represented the Defendants in an application to stay the Plaintiff’s claim for beneficial ownership of two landed properties until after the determination of a set of related divorce proceedings.
Family & Matrimonial
- FH & Anor v. WB & Ors  HKCFI 1748;  5 HKC 99 – appeared on behalf of the Applicants (led by Anita Yip SC) in an application for parental orders in favour of parents to children born out of an overseas surrogacy arrangement; and declarations regarding the constitutionality and interpretation of certain provisions in the Parent and Child Ordinance (Cap. 429) and the Human Reproductive Technology Ordinance (Cap. 561).
- Re: D (Parental Order: Section 12 of the Parent and Child Ordinance (Cap. 429))  1 HKLRD 229 – appeared on behalf of the Applicants (led by Johannes Chan SC) to seek a parental order in favour of parents to a child born out of an overseas surrogacy arrangement.
- Regularly handles cases involving children (including orders for custody, care and control, and access; non-removal orders; non-molestation orders; wardship orders; parental orders; adoption orders; guardianship orders), and cases relating to financial provision (including ancillary relief, maintenance pending suit, third-party interest, avoidance of dispositions and applications under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Ordinance (Cap. 481)).
- Re: Hong Kong Journalists Association  2 HKLRD 756 – appeared on behalf of the Applicant (led by Johannes Chan SC) and sought leave to judicial review regarding the Government’s policy towards online-only media journalists and in particular, whether online-only media journalists should be allowed access to the press events relating to the Chief Executive Election 2017.
- HKSAR v. Leung Oi Yin Scarlette  2 HKLRD 472 – appeared on behalf of the Appellant (led by Robert Pang SC) in an appeal against convictions where the Court was asked to determine whether the refusal to answer self-incriminating questions on the part of a witness had any effect on his/her credibility.
- HKSAR v. Tse Chun Ho (CACC 348/2014, 28 July 2015) – appeared on behalf of the Defendant and obtained bail pending appeal, and eventually an order quashing the original sentence (replaced by conditional release) in the appeal proper.
- HKSAR v. Yip Ming & Ors (HCMA 656/2013, 4 September 2014) – appeared on behalf of the Appellants (led by MK Wong SC) to appeal against convictions.
- Regularly conducts trials on summonses issued by government departments: e.g. Environmental Protection Department, Lands Department, Electrical & Mechanical Services Department.