2014 (Enrolled as solicitor and barrister of the Supreme Court of Australia (Vic))
2013 (Hong Kong)
2011 (Enrolled as solicitor and barrister of the New Zealand High Court)
2017 (Associate of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators)
2011 (LEADR Accredited Mediator, AUS & NZ)
Raymond has been enrolled as a solicitor and barrister of the New Zealand High Court for nearly a decade.
He commenced full practice in Hong Kong in 2013 upon completing his pupillage with Mr. Paul Shieh S.C., Mr. Bernard Man S.C., Mr. Edwin Choy S.C., Mr. Eugene Yim, and Mr. Steven Kwan.
Raymond is regularly instructed on a wide-range of civil matters and white-collar crime. He has a particular focus on strategy and advocacy. He is client-friendly and responsive.
His practice areas include:- contract, land, probate, family, equitable remedies, professional liability, as well as commercial disputes. He acts and advises local and listed companies in regards to director duties and shareholder rights. Being an associate of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators, he also has extensive experience in all stages in arbitration. He has experience in advising Hong Kong law to foreign firms and clients.
He is a part-time lecturer at the University of Hong Kong, and has authored a number of practical guidance texts for solicitors (Lexis Nexis).
Raymond speaks English and Cantonese fluently. He has working knowledge in Putonghua.
- Middle Temple Scholar (2013)
- 1st in Family Property Law, University of Auckland Law School (2010)
- 1st in International Environmental Law, University of Auckland Law School (2010)
- Southern Trust Scholarship – Academic Excellence (2008)
- ASB Bursary Award – Academic Excellence (2008)
General Civil and Commercial
- Citic Limited (formerly known as Citic Pacific Limited) v Secretary of Justice and Commissioner of Police  4 HKLRD 20: Hong Kong’s leading authority on legal professional privilege (led by Mr. Collingwood Thompson QC, Mr. Paul Shieh SC, Mr. Victor Dawes SC)
- Top Winton Ltd v Lam Chun Man  3 HKLRD 636: successful appeal to enforce contractual rate post-judgment and instatement of indemnity costs
- Joseph Leung & Associates (a firm) v Sham Yick Chun Gary and Anor HCMP 3334/2014: committal proceedings and breach of mandatory injunction court order (led by Mr. Robert Pang SC)
- X v Y HCSD 25/2019: resisting statutory demand for $300million against private bank
- Nam Kee Travel Co Limited v Yip Wing Ching HCA 1061/2014: successful mareva injunction to prevent dissipation of substantial monies and assets (led by Ms. Linda Chan SC – as she then was)
- Re: TZ (let by Mr. Philip Dykes SC): writ of habeas corpus of a prominent businessman travelling through Hong Kong
Matrimonial and Probate
- Re: a Child HCMP 1731/2019: successful urgent application in resisting removal of a child to out of jurisdiction
- CTK v CPL FCMP 167/2014: successful application after trial for limiting maintenance and obtaining custody, care and control of a child
- A v B  1 HKLRD 187: division of family property in regards to enhanced earning capacity (led by Mr. Bernard Man SC)
- KX v YG FCMC 8638/2015: successful discharge of mareva injunction with costs (led by Mr. Russell Coleman SC – as he then was)
- Ng Chiu Mui & Anor v Robertsons (a firm) HCA 1166/2010: trial on solicitors’ negligence in relation to the handling of Securities and Futures Commission hearings (led by Mr. Victor Dawes SC)
- Experience in a number of professional negligence and disciplinary matters (accountants, medical professionals, and others)
Arbitration and related matters
- Fung Hing Chiu v Henry Wai & Co  1 HKLRD 808: stay of arbitration pursuant to s 67 of the Legal Practitioner’s Ordinance (Cap 159) (appeared with Mr. Kelvin Liu)
- Experience in a number of ad hoc and HKIAC arbitration proceedings.
Advised on matters relating to:-
- Rental review clauses and non-payment of debt
- Consignment and misappropriation of goods
- Winding up proceedings of a HK-listed subsidiary instigated by an Italian-listed company
- Injunction in regards to shareholder meeting and application of contractual terms and by-law
- Cross-border protection of assets including landed properties (in commercial and family context)
- Contentious probate of $200 million family pot
- Construction (in regards to a university project and applicability of technical requirement clause)
- Hong Kong Lawyer (May 2018) “Not all Arbitration Agreements between Solicitor and Lay-client are Enforceable”
- Lexis Nexis, Lexis Practical Guidance, Contributor for Applicable Law and Jurisdiction, Litigation, Evidence and Discovery
- Lexis Nexis, Lexis Practical Guidance, Apology Ordinance