Albert N. B. Wong
2013 (Hong Kong)
Areas of Practice
Confidentiality & Privacy
Financial Services Regulation
Injunction & Contempt
Public Law & Judicial Review
Regulatory & Disciplinary
Albert was educated at Winchester College and read English at the University of Oxford. Before practising as a barrister, Albert was a journalist covering law and politics in Hong Kong. He has a broad practice with a particular focus on judicial review applications.
Albert appeared in the judicial review proceedings resulting in the requirement of a judicial warrant before the search of a mobile phone, and regularly acts for persons in relation to search warrants and scope of police powers.
He represented the “Occupy Trio” in the trial arising from the 2014 Occupy movement and acted for the Hong Kong Journalists Association in an application challenging the police handling of the press during public order incidents.
He has also represented the Commissioner of Police in resisting a challenge to the constitutionality of the “Letter of No Consent” regime under sections 25(1) and 25A of the Organized and Serious Crimes Ordinance (Cap. 455) and has acted for Kim Dotcom in Hong Kong.
Albert also has experience in matters relating to extradition, restraint orders, disciplinary and regulatory proceedings, contempt of court, and general civil proceedings. He has also acted for the Prosecution and the Defence in criminal trials.
- Lee Chu Ming, Martin & ors v A Permanent Magistrate & Commissioner of Police  HKCFI 2028
- Hong Kong Journalists Association (“HKJA”) v Commissioner of Police and Secretary for Justice (HCAL 2915/2019)
- Sham Wing Kan v Commissioner of Police  2 HKLRD 529,  HKCA 186
- HKSAR v Tai Yiu Ting, Chan Kin Man, Chu Yiu Ming & Ors  HKDC 450; and CACC 128/2019
- Secretary for Justice & anor v Persons Unlawfully and Wilfully Conducting Themselves…  5 HKLRD 500,  HKCFI 2773
- Interush Ltd & Anor v The Commissioner of Police & Ors  1 HKLRD 892,  HKCA 70
- Lau Luen Hung v Secretary for Justice (HCAL 875/2019)
- Re Kim Dotcom  HKCA 885
- M v Torture Claims Appeal Board  3 HKC 497,  HKCFI 24
- Secretary for Justice v Cheng Kam Mun (No.3)  2 HKLRD 768
- Secretary for Justice v Li Pang Kay & Another  2 HKLRD 882
- HKSAR v MD Emran Hossain (2016) 19 HKCFAR 679
- HKSAR v Luk Kin Peter Joseph (2016) 19 HKCFAR 619
- A v The Securities and Futures Commission  1 HKLRD 47
- A Solicitor v Law Society of Hong Kong  1 HKLRD 802
- T v Commissioner of Police (2014) 17 HKCFAR 593
- 10th Red Cross International Humanitarian Law Moot (representing The University of Hong Kong)
– Best Mooter
– 1st Counsel of Winning Team
- The Hong Kong News Awards – Best English News Writing
- The 14th Annual Human Rights Press Awards – Special Merits (Features)
- The Society of Publishers in Asia Awards for Editorial Excellence
– Honourable Mention, Public Service Journalism
– Honourable Mention, Reporting on the Environment